Sunday 22 September 2013

Important Theatre dates, notes & Bunraku

This week in class, we spent some time making sure that we understood all about the IP, marking schemes, facts about theatre projects. It helped me realise the amount of work I will have to do and also what I need to aim for the higher grades.
Mr Fearnehough also made it very clear to me how things like footnothing and referencing everything properly is important because we could mistake and end up failing.

Friday 20th September:

Today we spent two hours on Bunraku. We have already learnt a bit of theory about bunraku due to our presentations and today we were going to be doing some Physical exercises. I was excited to get up and do something and I thought it would help me understand Bunraku a bit more.
We began with an exercise where we were put into pairs (I was with Abby) and we had a piece of paper between us which had to travel from the top of our head to our feet, then back up again, Not using our hands!After the first go, I thought it would be impossible. I realised it took quite a few times to understand some sort of skill to get it down to the feet but getting it back up with another thing. At the beginning, I think mine & Abby's movement to get the paper down was quite restricted. But as we understood more technique and really wanted to do well, we became much more comfortble with eachother to do no matter what it took to get the paper back up. We did manage to do it once but to do it eachtime without fail would have taken much longer. After this exercise, we reflected on the different things we got from that task.

  1. We thought it would be impossible but it wasn't. We learnt that we could learn different techniques after practise, copying and trying out new things. We had to be more daring in this task.
  2. I understood what it meant by the puppeteers in Bunraku taking 20 years to learn how to move some of the puppet. It took us 20 minutes to get the paper down to our feet and it was no where near perfect. You need committment and patience.
  3. This task required perserverance, communication, trust and to be comfortble with the other person in this task. Much like the three puppeteers controlling one puppet would need in Bunraku.
  4. No matter how uncomfortble you are in the position you have to do, you have to carry on and succeed. We might feel uncomfortble doing controlling the puppets but we have to continue because it is about the puppets not the puppeteers.
One thing we discussed was being reserved as an ensemble. As an ensemble, we have to try not to be reserved because we have to work with eachother as a team. At the beginning of the year, I was much more reserved than I am now but I realise that it will take one or two goes of a task to become comfortble. 

The next task we did was balancing a pencil on our fingers. This task was really difficult but it required a lot of concentration. I didn't manage to balance a pencil on the tip of my finger more than a second but I did realise some points whilst doing it. 
  1. I was easily distracted by any noise or movement, i got better concetration when facing the wall instead of everyone else. 
After we used a broom to balance instead but we turned it into just a pole. 
This was much easier to balance.
Abby went first but didn't manage to do it but we thought it was all okay, none of us had tried and we didn't know how easy it would be. Plus Abby was first so we were talking and it wasn't as serious. Axel went after and was really good at it and balanced it for a really long time. After he did it for a while, I tried to put him off by saying stuff to see if he could still balance it and he could! Then Bekki went and she was also really good and then I went. I wasn't good at all. I wasn't sure if it was lack of concentration or I was doing something wrong. After, I realised if I looked up at the pole, I had more concentration and it lasted a lot longer. After Abby tried again and still struggled. During this time we all were silent and had a lot of respect. We tried helping Abby and finally she was able to do it. We all realised how we were there for eachother and this task required group concentration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment