Monday 9 September 2013

Week 33: The Begining of a New Year

RI Status
Over the summer I have finalized my RI topic, Masks used in Antigone, and continued my research.
IP Ideas
  1. A workshop exploring the effect of stance, movement, an facial expression on the stage picture
  2. Directing a monologue with a volunteer actor
  3. Assisting in props. with another student

Me Halfway Though IB Theatre Course

Artwork
  • Fear of failure 
  • Standing on the stage right before the curtain goes up: butterflies everywhere, nervous, petrified
  • The light (success) is on stage to get to it I have to do something hard to succeed

In Class Picture 
In this picture I attempted to portray myself as drowning in a sea of confusion, overwhelmedness, and exams. I am surrounded on all sides and I am sinking in it. 
Friday: Today we did an exercise in which one person stood with their back to the rest of the ensemble. The rest of the ensemble was instructed to come up with a compliment for the other person. It was then repeated, word for word, by  different members of the ensemble in different ways until the other person felt that it sounded sincere and turned. 

What this Excercise did
  • The importance of rehearsal- it tooks multiple tries for each turn for each person
  • The actors have to be very convincing and rely heavily on the audiences suspension of belief because it is hard to accept a compliment that is not "meant" given for the sake of the compliment
  • It was harder to accept the compliment from people I knew because I know how they act, how they give compliments, and what seems natural from them-not knowing the audience is a good thing for actors
  • Culture can make how I see a compliment different- a play will have to change subtlely to be understandable to another culture
  • The accent or the voice of the person who is giving the compliment can make a big difference-casting is important
  • Strangely I was not as uncomfortable in  front of the group as I thought I was going o be
  • I am a product of where I came from  and what I have experienced- some compliments of observations will mean different things to me
  • It is sometimes hard to "fake" a compliment especially- new respect to actors/performers
  • Sarcasm can be perceived by a short or breath-actors have to be very meaningful with every syllable and spacing

No comments:

Post a Comment