Friday 11 January 2013

Acrobatics, Freeze Frame, and One Direction (yes, 1D was one for the whole class :)



            The week started with discussions about how we would individually complete our technical roles for the Commedia production. A useful way to compose an action plan is to research the methods of a specific person in that line of work (for example I would look into the work of a specific photographer). Because I’m tackling the choreography and acrobatic elements of the performance I’ve started my research into circus exercises, contemporary choreography, and classical Baroque dance style. My vision so far is to have some small choreographed sections that work as the interlude between scenes as well as additional acrobatic elements for the zanni, some type of over-the-top tango between Il Capitano and Isabel, as well as a sweet and romantic duet for the lovers. At this point I’m condensing my research and really focusing on the process a choreographer goes through.
            Wednesday was really fun! I got to run my acrobatics class, and I think the ensemble did really well. I started with some basic dance stretches and warm-ups but then pretty much went straight into acrobatic tricks. I didn’t know how much everyone could already do, therefore I structured my class so that the tricks could be made easier or harder depending on how quickly everyone picked them up. My background as a rhythmic gymnast and dancer gave me a lot of confidence in the movements and I felt really comfortable leading and helping the ensemble. The process of teaching the class has helped me realize that I prefer roles such as a choreographer or director as opposed to an actor. The highlight of the session (other than listening to One Direction the entire time…bet you didn’t notice that did you Axel??) was the “Russian Running Circle” when the ensemble successfully lifted two of its members off the ground! It is a definite crowd pleaser; on reflection I think I will add in more group/partner tricks into the choreography because they are relatively easy, but look massively impressive.
            Thursday was the day of acute muscle pain, thanks to my class…Mr.F put it the best way when he said, “I feel like I’ve been beaten up”, which was a perfect description. (At least I know that everyone, including myself, worked really hard during the class) Thursday was focused on the scenario itself and we worked on the different scenes by literally taking a freeze frame of each scene. At first our pictures were decent but visually we were all at similar levels and the attention was not drawn to anything specific. However after we began to change the positions (rotation, translation, inclination, thank you Mr. Decroux) and levels of our bodies the photos became instantly more striking. This process taught that sometime you literally need to step outside of your scene of position and see what can be improved. Also this was a really helpful group exercise because we could maneuver each other and give input in a constructive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment