Sunday 20 January 2013

Week 15: Making Commedia Masks and Learning Loglines

Monday: Mr. Fearnehough introduced loglines to us. Loglines are used by Hollywood screenwriters. They use three words: then, when, and until. Each word introduces a different level of the story. "When"-a character with a pattern (exposition) encounters a problem (inciting moment) that challenges the pattern.
"Then"-with his key relationships he tries to solve the problem (rising action)
"Until"-the main character acts outside of his pattern to solve the problem (dynamic character)(climax)

Wednesday: We started making Commedia masks in the art block. This involved making the "form" for the mask. We used gum paper and tissue paper to do this. I was Halley's model and she did the actual artsy work while I sat there. It was a little disappointing that I was not able to make a "form" myself because I wanted to try it out. After we made the mask "forms" we went back to the classroom and Mr. Fearnehough told us all about our annotated bibliography. This is very similar to a normal bibliography except it includes a review of sorts about its quality, validity, and usefulness. While making a bibliography is not very daunting or difficult, the amount and variety of resources that we are expected to use in it is.



1-The Arrival
2-Rejection

Thursday: We redid our freeze frames from the Commedia Piece, Lydia printed them out and hung them in the studio. Then Axel, Halley, Mary, and me, started working on the cinema scene. We were all kind of wanted to get started on the acting, because we hadn't done any acting yet. I was kind of nervous about the acting, but I thought that it went pretty good considering that it was my first time acting for a couple years, except for a little thing at TaPS. I realized that I need to do some research for my part. For instance I need to learn a few different types of doctors, I need to figure out a few more cheesy love things for me to say about Mary, and most importantly I need to pick out a name for my character. I also need to practice staying in character through out the scene.




3-Falling for guitar man



4-Arranged Date






 

5-Failed Date

6-We are In Love
 

7-Encounters at the Cinema
8-Dad feels betrayed

9-Turning Point
10-Loves Wins All

1 comment:

  1. A good entry with a sound mix of text and images. It's great to see you follow previous advice and, for example, give concrete examples to support your points - keep this up! You have included the storyboard of your commedia piece (in fact the only one in the class to do so for some reason) which is good. You could annotate the stroyboard to make it even cleverer - with notes explaining the significance of levels/positioning/facial expressions/gesture etc. This would enable you to also reflect on how successfulo you were in conveying your intended effect.

    ReplyDelete