Saturday 19 January 2013

Loglines, Mask-Making, Devising



This week started off with a brief break from commedia, instead we discussed “loglines” used in film hooks. Basically the structure of a logline provides the basis for a pitch, at which point you would layer on more details. The three key words used for the structure are “when”(character with a pattern encounters a problem that challenges his pattern), “then”(with his key relationship he/she tries to solve the problem despite all obstacles), and “until” (he acts outside his pattern and solves the problem). The brief summary of the plot is all in the present tense, however it can contain some spoilers seeing as it outlines the storyline. Once we learned this technique, it made me understand how to incorporate the brief summary aspect to a pitch. The logline discussion also helped me see the relationship between a writer and a director and a writer and a producer (the director would need the loglines, and the producer would need the pitch)
Wednesday we took a step in a new direction and did some theatre in the making! Even though we haven’t decided if we are using masks in our commedia piece, we are making them anyway to get the experience and appreciate the ‘dell’arte’ or mask-making, which was integral to commedia productions. We went to the art block and then got a demonstration (haha, Axel) of how to use tissue paper, and gum paper to form a realistic mask off of a live model. I’d say this was more of an art and team-bonding experience, and I found that I really enjoyed the artistic elements of forming the facial features. The only issue we ran into was that the art masks were designed to be realistic, and commedia masks are meant to be exaggerated as if caricatures of the people. However, I think this problem will fixed in “post-production” because we will be adding painted designs and even some attached features. This lesson ended with a gigantic research task! I’m not freaking out because I’ve had a lot of experience with annotated bibliographies as well as with dance/choreography. I’m looking forward to the inspiration that will hopefully come to my choreography, but I’m not looking forward to hours of sedentary activity for the purpose of creating dynamic movement.
Thursday we redid some of our freeze-frames so they would capture the “essence” of the scene more accurately, we did this through the different levels and body positions that eventually gave the frame more depth. These frames were then printed off and hang up; they will act as the storyboard for our production and help us stay on track without referring to a specific line in a structured script (which we don’t have anyway). Then came the true test of acting; we were left to improvise and devise the story. I enjoy making up stories and testing out new ways of doing things; BUT I won’t lie about my feelings toward improvisation= I don’t like it at all. I’m still not completely comfortable taking on the role of actor yet; however on reflection I think this commedia production has all the right elements in it that will force me to accept the practice as legitimate and useful. It is helpful for me to balance the research with the performance, and then I can have a balanced outlook and theatre experience. (Note, my computer won't let me upload pictures for some reason...but I put them on the fb group :)

1 comment:

  1. An interesting entry where you reflect on how you're finding the improv work. You discuss the 'sedentary' nature of the research task. Remember, this is not designed to only inform your practical work but rather is very useful prep for a crucial part of the Research Investigation (RI)worth 25% of your final grade in Theatre. The nature of this research paper is very academic and formal and it's important you have some practice of this before you actually tackle the actual assessment. It would be good if you linked your research homework to this key assessment - it is, perhaps, a shame that not all work in Theatre is practical but that's why the IB is recognised as rigorous prep for university or future studies.

    ReplyDelete