Saturday 26 January 2013

First Review of "Love Wins All"

This week started with a suprise foray back into the art block to continue working on our masks. This stage was crucial because we were able to start and add the essential elements of our character into the actual shape of the mask. Abby and I are working the Il Capitano mask, so we first had to shape in the form of a half mask, so his mouth has all the room necessary for bragging and seducing! The most important addition however was the long nose that we added. The process was actually quite simple, we used cardstock and then just fitted the angle to the bridge of the nose and there it was! We added so more paper mache for stability but were unable to start painting or decorating. I think this whole experience in the art room has not only been fun, but it has also made me more aware of all the different types of art that go into the art of performing. I have a deeper respect for artists, because an actors performance can either be enhanced or hindered by a costume or prop.

I'd say the theme of wednesday was "Lets Get Down to Buisness"! Before the real business could take place, I lead a brief warm-up in the classic moves of commedia. The focus of the warm-up was to explain the 8 directions used in commedia, as well as directional lunging.The task was simple: continue devising, BUT use the storyboard as a guide and just get the basics down, for the whole piece. When I heard this I was completely overwhelmed and nervous, (added to the fact that our ensemble was missing a very important member, Lydia!) However we managed to get on and get a basic story down. Though we found it quite easy to slip into a production of "IST: The Musical" :) The hardest part, and the part I think we lacked on wednesday, was staying true to our "masks". Since this is a modern take, we all have to consciously think about using the original commedia dell'arte elements in our performance.

Though we got the brunt of the work done on wednesday, thursday was very important because it was the first time performed our piece (to our audience of two). I felt that there were several things that went really well: I thought Mary did an excellent job improvising lines, especially when others in a scene didn't know what to say. Also I thought Axel did a really good job using the movement of Pantalone by shuffling his feet, being pigeon-toed, and stroking his wallet. I thought Abby's best momenet was when she has the conversation with Pantalone at the movie theater, she had just the right about of innocence yet power in the way she answered his questions. Also I thought that Bekki really brought the energy up in the first scene by being really weird and funny, especially with the line "OH! Fresh meat!" However that brings me to some of the things we could improve on: one I think the zanni need to be in it way more, and have the lazzi be a main source of shenanigans for them to take part in. Also I think we need to add in more funny cultural references, because I thought the "Bella Notte" song was pretty funny at the restaurant scene. As a whole we pretty much for got to include the audience. At some points we weren't facing front and we were so focused on eachother that we didn't even make eye contact with the audience. I think this problem will be solved if we break the 4th wall and get some audience participation (a key element of commedia). As for me, I think I need to define my character more, because at this point I almost feel bad for him as that one that no one likes, instead of the one no one can stand. Also I need to exaggerate my facial expressions to match my body position so the audience can tell what I'm feeling. Lastly, everyone needs to be LOUDER!

No comments:

Post a Comment