Monday 10 December 2012

Introduction to Commedia Dell'Arte

Monday 3rd December-
We began with Stanislavski's relaxation exercise. I have already done this exercise before in GCSE unlike some other people in the group so I knew what was to be expected. Instead of doing to listening and relaxation part, I read out the exercise script to my group. I didn't think i was going to relax myself when I was reading it but I actually did!
Although at some points, I felt like I was going to choke because I wanted to keep my voice calm and not cough to distract the others relaxing. But in the end, I relaxed myself when reading it.
We then did a slow motion exercise. We did this because I don't think we got the grasp properly when Abby taught us in her masterclass. We understood what she taught us but didn't do her exercises properly. So, we did a "Slow Motion Running Task". 
We had to have a lot of focus because when I mean slow motion, it really was slow motion to the point it was hardly moving.
We then got our two essays back, I was pleased with mine. Especially my Pavis Questionnaire one! I was pleased because I struggled a lot to understand what it was asking from us. The vocab was very difficult but in my struggle I learnt a lot as well. I am happy with my grade and I know that next time we get a Pavis Questionnaire essay I think I would know how to improve now and aim for a 6!

Wednesday 5th December-
M.Fearnehough wasn't there today for our double lesson so we had to make a presentation on Commedia Dell'Arte because that is what we are going to be doing next in Theatre. I worked with Bekki and we did our presentation together.
We discussed some quick facts and basics about Commedia like the basic scenarios, costumes, masks, characters...
We then put in the presentation how commedia has developed and how pantomime relates to commedia. We both take part in Pantomime so we know the aspects taken from Commedia put into Pantomime.
The links between these two theatre practises are:

  • slapstick comedy
  • no 4th wall
  • typical commedia scenarios (love story...)
  • musical aspect (dance, singing)



Thursday 6th December-
Today we gave in our acid tests we did for homework on a production we saw in London.
One by one, we took turns discussing what was on our acid tests.
Mine was on "One Man Two Guvnors", I found that homework task quite difficult in some ways because I couldn't think of how to could put some of my feelings and emotions down on paper. I am also not very good at drawing.
We then hung our 'Nasty' Acid tests on the wall and talked about what we are going to be doing next in Theatre.
We are moving on to our first IB theatre devised piece!!!!
It is going to be based on Commedia by using the aspects, either a basic commedia story, use of masks....
I think everyone is excited and a little nervous too.

No comments:

Post a Comment